How Does CBD Work?
By now, you have heard all about the amazing benefits of CBD oil, some of which may even seem too good to be true. The fantastic benefits of CBD beg the question, how does CBD work?? Excuse some of the more scientific jargon as we delve into the details of CBD and how it works in the body.
CBD produces many effects through multiple biochemical pathways, research has identified more than 65 molecular targets of CBD and there are still more to be found. CBD’s main effects are shown through various receptors in the body. The human body contains an endocannabinoid receptor system, this system receives and translates signals from the various cannabinoids.
Among the receptors activated by CBD Oil consumption are the Vannilloid, Adenosine, Glutamate and Serotonin receptors.
- Vannilloid receptors are involved in the regulation of inflammation in the body so the activation of the vanilloid receptors is what cause the anti-inflammatory effects of CBD.
- Adenosine receptors are activated by CBD Oil and provide the anti-anxiety and calming effects of CBD.
- Multiple Studies have shown high concentrations of CBD have been shown to activating 5HT1A serotonin receptor known as 5HT1A, exerting an antidepressant effect by acting as an SSRI. An SSRI is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor. What happens in many cases of depression is much of the serotonin that is released is taken back up by the brain and is therefore unable to provide the positive feelings it is responsible for. The SSRI and high concentrations of CBD can prevent the reuptake from occurring, allowing more serotonin to release into the brain.
- Dopamine: CBD naturally increases the body’s utilization of dopamine, the neurotransmitter in the brain commonly referred to as “the brain’s reward center” and in short, just makes us feel good.
- Finally, the activation of glutamate receptors stimulates excitatory signals in the brain, which provide energy.
Now, combine the calming effect of adenosine paired with the energy from glutamate and you have the perfect blend to stimulate creative energy in the brain while feeling a sense of calm.